Friday, December 24, 2010

圣诞快乐

This Christmas, my mom had to be back in the States with her family due to her mom's health problems. Christmas just isn't the same without the woman of the house to bring Christmas goodies - I mean, cheer.
My dad, brothers and I managed to get up for caroling at the school, attempting sugar cookies while being indecisive about Christmas music, and then decided to go out to eat. Turns out, one Christmas meal is all this motherless family choses to handle.

We made a cultural discovery today. Turns out, Christmas Eve is date night in Beijing. We meandered our way over to the foreign side of town, and eat at TGIF. We attempted Tex-Mex, but when we entered, we were informed that they only had two meal options - turkey and steak, and it would cost an arm and a leg. My dad informed the waitress that this was a mexican restaurant, and she seemed truly shocked as if she had never noticed.
Once we got to TGIF, we were met with couple after couple dressed in their club clothes. It's interesting to see how the materialism of Christmas is capable of sinking into other cultures and yet they fail to grasp the full meaning of what they're celebrating. I'm sure we do the same thing in the States.

New goal: Learn more about holidays I celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment