Monday, September 27, 2010

Choosing Fleas

Some days I wish I was more creative, more mysterious, more complicated.

Other days I wish I was more content, more open, more simple.

I had the privilege of getting up on a Saturday morning simply because I had something I desired to do with someone whose time I frequently crave. No work, no service Saturday, no homework, just the choice to spend a Saturday morning with my boyfriend.

There’s such a joyous freedom in doing something by choice.

Which has made me impatient for the day I no longer have an extensive list of required readings and can simply enjoy a book again.

Back to my story.

Matt and I decided to go to the Sweetwater flea market. World’s longest indoor flea market.

I feel as if a flea market has been established as a judge free zone where you are allowed to come as you please and the “pet friendly” guarantee is taken very seriously. The moment we turned into the parking lot we found ourselves waiting for a lady with eight dogs, each dressed in a print outfit. Laughing over this sight quickly turned into the jaw dropping and glances of “you better be seeing this” as an old man took his precious time crossing the gravel. Although, if I were walking with a cane, smoking a pipe and wearing a civil war uniform I would feel I had the right to take as much of everyone else’s time as I pleased. Of course our jaws quickly started moving again as we returned to laughing and came to the realization that today was going to be a truly great day.

Along the side of the parking lot were a few stores filled with Communist medals, swim suits, saddles and the typical creepy antiques. You know, the ones that couldn’t possibly be purchased by anyone but the creepy cat lady who has multiple cabinets filled with an array of collections. (Either that or the indie chick who fancies the creepy cat lady cute.)

Once inside the flea market, the variety of merchandise continued to expound, with a surprising amount of socks being sold. I suppose fall is upon us and we must keep our toes snuggly. I shall refrain from judging.

How pleasant it must be to be so comfortable with a place and a culture to show up however you like. Dogs in strollers. Spoon jewelry. Deep fried moon pies. Long scraggly beards. Old books. Country music. Sweet, roasted cashews. Confederate lamps.

It was a simple day, sprinkled with fall rain, and I loved it. =)

见,

No comments:

Post a Comment