Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Grid Locked in a Language Barrier

Taxi rides always provide the most random opportunities for interesting conversations.

I’ve met taxi drivers who are convinced all Americans are rich.

I’ve met racist taxi drivers.

I’ve met taxi drivers who wish to discuss 9/11.

Recently I was able to ride with a driver who wished to discuss the differences between Chinese and American families. I was humored by the fact that his knowledge of American families came from American movies.

I quickly became frustrated with my lack of vocabulary, as I failed to be able to express the American value of independence and the difference between an independent and interdependent culture.

But even with the language barrier, I tried to explain to the driver how important it is for parents to instill independence and give the child an opportunity to make it on their own.

He was not only confused, but also shocked.

We’re not given huge sums of money on our wedding day. The grandparents aren’t there day to day to help raise the kids. It’s not guaranteed that the parents will give you money if you need to make a large purchase, such as a car.

It took a lot of work to explain why this doesn’t make American’s heartless parents.

The driver then decided it was time to talk politics and informed us how much he had dislike Bush. Great ending to a conversation. Haha

见,

No comments:

Post a Comment