Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Brown haired, blue eyed Asian

I wish I had a quarter for every time someone has asked me what is different between America and China. Where do you even begin to answer a question like that? Yes, the government is different, the language is different, and the food is different; but it’s so much more than that. Even if every one of the 1.3 billion Chinese listed a difference, I’m not sure every difference would be covered.

Moving back to the States has taught me a lot about Asian culture, because I’m suddenly realizing how much it’s a part of me.

I grew up assuming I was the typical American. I looked and dressed like all other Americans. I liked the basic dishes all other Americans liked. I enjoyed a good North Fake jacket. I enjoyed going to the DVD store when a new American movie came out. I got excited when a store had Dr. Pepper. The whole works.

But now, in contrast against Americans, I suddenly feel strangely Asian. Perhaps not so much on the most obvious level – I’m not communist and I will still take a Dr. Pepper every chance I get – but then again, apparently even the way I motion with my hand for someone to come is uniquely Asian.

I think the hardest to adjust to is the way I interact with people. I grew up very other’s oriented. I look to see what the group desires and then decide what I want. I am willing to keep my opinion on the down low in order to save myself or someone else face. I’ve somehow acquired the ability to help others compromise and be the peacemaker in stressful situations, and yet I have no idea what to do when I’m in the middle of it. As an American, I’m supposed to be independent, have an opinion about everything and be able to stand up behind it. Most of the time, I really just don’t care. I also believe it’s the job of the host to figure out what I want to eat. Haha

I always assumed these things about me were just simply me. But the more they’ve come up, I’ve talked with other people, and even through school research papers… I’m learning it’s not just me. Well, it is. But it’s me having been influenced by an interdependent culture. A culture focused on how the group looks and functions and remains harmonious.

I love having to weave through people.

I love when the bus is so full you have to shove to get off.

I love eating my jiao zi with soy sauce and vinegar.

I love street food.

I love Chinese instruments.

I love Chinglish.

I love that senior citizens are still out dancing and exercising every morning.

I also love that pale instead of tan is beautiful. It works well for me.

I’m thankful China has been a part of my life and become part of who I am

见,

12 comments:

  1. It never occurred to me that having your host figure out what you want to eat might be cultural...

    thanks for sharing, I've definitely found the Asian in myself upon moving back as well. Hang in there. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'd like to sign up as your biggest fan. Where do I do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...sounds like you've been talking to my daughter...or maybe just grew up like her? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sara! I think you "hit the nail on the head". Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, yours is my newest favorite blog. keep these thoughts coming...I am desperate to learn all I can about TCKs since our children are about to become them! Can I send them to you for counseling when they're 18?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVED reading this! Gave me insight into my nieces . . . and maybe even their parents! I think I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I think we still have a tendency to see things as very race oriented not accounting for the cultural influence when you have lived elsewhere. You highlight differences many american young people would benefit from learning more about. I'll definitely read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sara,

    I spent the first 11 years of my life in Malaysia and just loved your post, thanks!
    Allison

    http://keepingthetime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have shred some great and helpful insights... great writing too! Keep on posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very well spoken and applicable post, Sara.

    Having been back 6 years now I sometimes forget about the Asian in me more than I would like. Thanks for helping me reflect again.

    -Michelle Davis

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved your blog...you described what most, if not all, of us TCK's feel. I like to think that those of us who have lived in another culture have assimilated the best aspects of both cultures; and we're better for it!

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not grew up in China, but feel like a TCK sometimes, after living here more then 7 years feel like my cultures are totally mixed up, so does that make me like a TCP -p for person?
    loved it and i feel sometimes the way you feel

    ReplyDelete